The Bluejacket 27 was first designed for a client in St Helena Island, SC. She wanted a boat just like the BJ 24 but with a large cockpit for fishing in the coastal area where she lives. I started at midships and designed a new hull from there aft to a transom just like the BJ 24.
Speed performance of the BJ 27 fitted with a Suzuki 60hp outboard is essentially the same as the BJ 24 with a Yamaha 50hp. Salley has cruised her “Perspective” along the Southeast Intracoastal Waterway and rivers and contemplates doing the great loop route in the future.
Building plans are contained in a loose leaf notebook and consist of the following list of material.
1. Text describing all major aspects of the building process.
2. List of specifications
3. List of material & sources
4. Weight data and weighing methods
5. A copy of an article appearing in Boatbuilder magazine describing the background and design, plus other notes on performance, etc.
6. List of itemized building expenses.
7. List of plans buyers
8. Joint tape and sheathing schedule.
9. 38 sketches showing details of the construction and electrical wiring diagrams.
10. Profile and plan views
11 Dimensioned profile and plan views.
12. Dimensioned layout of the hull panels.
13. A compact disc containing over 200 photographs of the construction and of the . completed boat, plus some short movies of the boat underway at various speeds.